Monday, April 5, 2010

Nutrition Idiocracy

Hi! My name is Carolyn. I am a graduate student at Loma Linda University in the nutrition/dietetics program.







The job of a dietitian is essential to society. The job of a dietitian is to ensure optimal health by means of a healthy diet. And when I say diet, I mean healthy eating practices carried out EVERYDAY throughout your life, not some type of cockamamie plan to starve yourself for a number of days.























Let me give you a little background information: I LOVE NUTRITION. It seems as if most conversations I have reference food in some way. I like discussing health tips, nutrition facts, and and calculating nutrients. I love helping people discover new ways to be healthy. Learning new healthy recipes is always exciting too. Sometimes, I even read labels for entertainment. Most of all, I LOVE metabolic pathways. Learning how the body uses the food we eat to create energy, prevent disease, or cause disease is fascinating.
Misinformation seems to be a common trend. People don't know what to eat because everyday it's something new. Don't eat fat. Don't eat carbs. 100 calorie snacks! AWESOME! This is just the beginning of how backwards people view food.
The purpose of this blog is to expose the misguided thoughts that people have regarding nutrition. Sometimes I get incredibly frustrated because of how unreasonable people can be. If I ever seem slightly irritated, it's because I am. Everyone knows everything about nutrition. I'm guessing that this is why 2/3 of Americans are considered overweight (according to BMI). I am constantly hearing new and exciting facts people read out of magazines like Cosmo and Men's Health. Well, I lost respect for Men's Health when I read an article recommending avoiding broccoli and eating pork. As for Cosmo, who has ever respected that magazine? If you're relying on a magazine with the latest 658 sex tricks to teach you about how to be healthy, this blog is not for you.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I think the BMI thing is probably overstated. Lebron James is considered overweight because his BMI 27ish. There are definitely a lot of fat Americans, but I don't think BMI is an accurate way to measure that, and I don't think it is anywhere near 2/3

    ReplyDelete